Monday 11 July 2016

Nigeria’s Aruna wins 3rd title in first season with Sporting Lisbon



Nigeria’s Aruna wins 3rd title in first season with Sporting Lisbon


Africa’s number one table tennis player, Quadri Aruna, on Sunday helped his club, Sporting Lisbon, to clinch the 2015/2016 Portugal Cup, defeating SL Benfica 3-0.
Aruna, relishing the victory, told the News Agency of Nigeria on telephone from Portugal that his joy knows no bounds.
“I must admit that this achievement gladdens my heart. I have been aiming for this victory ever since I joined the club.
“I joined the club just this season and my mind was winning titles for the club because in the last four years they haven’t won any.
“With this victory, it means that we won all the titles in Portugal for this season. We had won the Super Cup and the League Cup.
“Winning the Portugal Cup was not an easy one for us and neither was it a walk-over win.
“We gave our best and God crowned our efforts.
“I am very happy for contributing to my club’s success, their objectives of hiring me has materialised,’’ he said
The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) 2014 star player, promised not to relent on his oars but rather strive to get better.
“I can’t relent now because I am just starting. To be honest, I am not there yet in table tennis. There is still a lot ahead for me to achieve.
“Getting better is my utmost aim and I won’t leave any stone unturned to achieve this,” he said.
He added that his next target was the Japan Open and Korea Open.
“The two tournaments are going to be my preparation for the Rio Olympics Games,” Aruna said.
Aruna, his compatriot Bode Abiodun and Chen Diogo combined to win the title for Sporting Lisbon.
The Japan Open will serve off on June 15 and end June 19, while the Korea Open holds between June 22 and June 26.

Aruna Quadri (NAN)
All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.

No comments:

Post a Comment